Thursday, August 30, 2007

John Lennon the Jerk

I don't like to call people names.  It pains me to call one of my idols a jerk.  But I just finished reading John by Cynthia Lennon.  Her basis of the book is not to bad mouth him either.  Just to say it like it was.  I loved every minute of it.  She was writing a piece of history like she was writing in her journal.  Very warm and heartfelt toward the man that caused her such pain.  Yet also expressing regret and giving an accurate explanation of a key part of music history.  There has been the John Lennon that Yoko has (commercially) promoted since his death and there is the real John before drugs overtook his life. She explains what life was like growing up in Liverpool in the 40s and 50s. We learn in the book why John would be attracted to a person like Cynthia. Why one minute he wants to be a better husband and the next he's going through a third party wanting a divorce.  Why would John be attracted to Yoko?  Can I spoil that one for you? John grew up in a controling, nothing's-ever-good-enough household raised by his aunt Mimi.  He found those characteristics subconsciously appealing in Yoko.  She herself had admitted aunt Mimi and her had a lot in common. This blew my mind as one of his fans.  Reading this book has made me destroy the pedestal I had put him on.  It also has made me view Yoko in a new light.  It was hard for Cynthia to say nice things about Yoko even though she tried. Why would that be a problem? Because in all honesty there is not much there to say. I hope Yoko is embarassed for the way she has acted toward John's family. Public opinion used to be so cruel to Yoko and I know that has cooled down in decades since his death.  Well everyone was right. She's got problems. This eye-opening book is must read for anyone who loves the Beatles or wants another reason to say that drugs destroy families. 

No comments: