Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Metabolic Makeover

I actually bit the bullet and signed up for a local gym makeover program.  Me...the girl who has never set foot in a gym.  My friend belongs to the same one and loves it there.  We had talked for years about weight struggles.  Well, how self-conscience do I feel when she starts dropping dress sizes and for some reason I keep going up.  She set up a walk through with the coordinator for me and came with.  Way too expensive for me was my first thought.  Then, they went over a six week program that lets you have full gym access for that time, a personal trainer, and a custom made makeover based on how many calories I burn while doing nothing.  The price wasn't as bad as signing up for a regular membership so I went in this week.

I remember this same time last year I was about to turn 30.  I didn't like the weight I was at then and vowed to lose at least a little by my birthday.  I did exercise videos a few times a week, but that was it.  I think being a stay at home mom makes it harder to lose weight.  You have access to a kitchen 24-7.  Also, I discovered the wonder of velor pant suits, so I could be comfortable all hours of the day and not feel my skinny jeans getting tighter.  So, here I am approaching 31 and am in a better position to lose weight with being accountable to a trainer.

I never understood how lifting weights could make a person lose weight.  I just thought vigorous exercise a few times a week would help.  I am getting educated times two because of my trainer and a good friend training to be one.  I'm not that literate in explaining the ins and outs of it, but know now it's important.  Perhaps you'll see a comment explaining it, if my friend is up to it. This is how my ideal workout looks:

1. Warm up with light cardio 5-10 minutes.

2.  Strength training on 6 different machines, starting out with 4 reps on each and eventually increasing.

3. Followed by cardio for 30-45 minutes.

So there you have it.  I'm making it a goal to do this three times a week to get the most of paying for this. Also, I'm trying my best to cut calories but that will be the hardest challenge.  One thing I have learned is to drink cold water and lots of it.  Why?  Because you actually burn calories by drinking it.  You use up calories by your body warming the water up.  I'm sure I'll be sharing more tips while I am going through this.

This gym offers daycare which is the only way I could do this.  There are days my daughter is tired of staying home with me, so this gives us both a little break.  Our computer was down for over a week so I was not able to post.  Don't give up on me, new posts will soon follow.

No comments: