Sunday, October 15, 2006

Why have a vivid imagination...when there's YouTube!

For the not-so-computer literate out there YouTube is a video hosting service that is the in thing to do.  It's been a forum for a whistle blower of a major company and it's been a site that you can watch a young girl's heavily downloaded web diaries as she discusses her initiation into a cult. (Not real!)  So you might be thinking, "I bet the majority of that site just has videos of reckless teenagers jumping off their parents' garage."  You're only half-right.  So in between cooking, cleaning and trying to shake a cold, I went on an in-depth search of the obscure geeky things that I imagine in my mind but never saw in real life.  The first thing would be anything Broadway in nature, since that world is left to the elite whether you are an actor or an audience member.  I have had an un-healthy obsession with Broadway since I was four.  It runs in the family to have the passion but lack the "it" factor.  So, since then I have imagined what it must be like to go through an audition and be in rehersal for a show.  YouTube put me in the audition room with a young Lea Salonga and saw Miss Saigon's creators' expressions change, knowing they found their star.  She has gone on to be the singing voice of Princess Jasmine and Mulan.  Someone took the time to upload the video for my viewing pleasure and I am eternally grateful.  My mind is still on a high from the nine part documentary.  Nothing I could watch on TV would be greater.  So maybe you're not a Broadway voyeur...think of a favorite childhood cartoon you thought no one remembered.  It might be there waiting to reawaken your inner child.

No comments: