Saturday, December 2, 2006

The Coupon Conspiracy

Sure, I would rather write a review of the victorian novel I just finished, but here I am writing about coupons. I have mentioned in entries past, I try to use coupons from the Sunday paper to save a tiny amount off my shopping bill.  Being a miserly stay-at-home mom(SAHM) as I am, I simply have to vent on what I call a conspiracy.  Have you noticed that the amount you save on each coupon has gone down while the amount you have to buy has gone up?  Take for example Kleenex Tissues.  You can never just buy one box, on the coupon you have to buy 3 boxes just to save $0.30.  For my family, it's just not worth it.  Tide detergent rarely has coupons for just one bottle, you have to buy two.  I have to spend $35.00 just to save a buck?  I have become very interested in marketing over the past year, and view it in a new light.  What I realize is, coupon fliers are just advertising.  I look at a coupon and say, "I don't have time to cut out a coupon that will only save me $0.25."  (I also don't have time to go to stores just for a few items that will triple my coupon's savings but make me pay double for everything else.)  However, I will remember that brand when making my purchase, because of said coupon. Unless of course, the generic brand has the same quality. Maybe it's just me, but I think I'm on to them.

No comments: