Saturday, December 16, 2006

Unconventional Ways to Save Money

I have been an official SAHM for 3 months.  This does not denote the luxury that staying at home might be for certain moms.  It is up to me to stretch the paycheck as far as it will go.  If I were a lawyer, I might have extra money to hand out to babysitters.  As previously discussed in my area, I would not be able to get a job that would make it worth paying daycare, the cost of gas, etc.  So I would like to share some little known facts to stretch your dollar.  When I worked for the dentist, he stressed using a paste made of baking soda and hydrogen perxiode.  It clears up any gum disease you might have, plus the baking soda whitens your teeth.  For children, this does not apply because they need toothpaste with fluriode. 

As consumers, I think we've unintentionally become helpless, depending on food manufacturers to pre-cook everything for us and package everything in separate baggies.  This applies to popcorn.  When's the last time you made your own popcorn?  Isn't popcorn just something you buy prepackaged and stick in the microwave?  I didn't become interested in making my own until the FDA came out with a preliminary study that revealed popcorn bags are treated with a grease repellant coating that breaks down into a carcinogen. I have the link here.  I saw on the today show that you can simply put kernels in a brown paper lunch bag, fold it down a few times and stick it in the microwave.  For five bags of prepackaged popcorn it's $1.87.  For the same amount of kernels Wal-mart brand was $0.87.  You'll say, "Karen, that's not going to taste good!"  Au contraire, my daughter loves it with canola oil and salt.  You can buy butter flavoring and sleep well with the thoughts that you are helping the enviornment by staying away from all that packaging and feel good you might possibly be protecting your family from a carcinogen.  Did I mention it's healthier?

My friend and I are doing a Racheal Ray clothing swap party soon.  This was a segment last week where women get together and bring clothes they can't wear for their friends to try on and swap.  I thought we'd take it a step further and bring jewelry too.  Serve snacks and wine and what could be better?  Your family budget can't argue with that. 

As I discover more, I'll share more.  Feel free to share your tips!

No comments: