Sunday, October 14, 2007

Living with a young Louisa May Alcott

I've been on a Little Women kick.  I recently downloaded Little Women: the Musical and was impressed with how the lyrics captured the soul of the book.  I cried when I heard "Some Things Are Meant to Be," a duet between Jo and Beth, before Beth dies.  It touched me to see the love siblings can have for eachother.  Last night I watched the movie made in 1994, and couldn't help but long for sisters like that.  It's true I have two of my very own, but we have never been close.  They are quite set in their ways, which doesn't allow for the closeness I crave. 

Yet, snuggling next to me during the movie is my daughter.  She is the closest "sister" I think I'll ever have.  She reminds me of those sisters in so many ways.  The character of Jo, who Louisa based herself on, I think comes the closest.  It's not her stubborness or her giving, caring nature that stands out the most as similiarites.  It's her need to create outlandish stories and direct and star in them.  I should have seen it coming.  At three, playing barbies became dramatic.  I would be Ken, she would be Barbie.  They would dance and eat dinner.  When all of a sudden, the "other woman"  would enter the story and upsurp all of Barbie's happiness.  Where did she get this idea?  Was she sneaking in episodes of General Hospital when I wasn't looking? 

Then she started directing.  She would give me my line from a story she just created, and told me how I should say it.  She would make me do my line over if it wasn't to her caliber.  She's become the toughest director I've ever worked for.  The stories started out simple.  I was the prince, she was Cinderella.  We've moved on to becoming ninjas in the jungle.  She had her "sword" and could not find one suitable for me.  She took mints out of my purse and told me to give the fiends this bad candy instead. 

One day if she ever decides to write a story based on our family, I can only hope we live up to the high standards the Alcott family set in encouraging intelligence and creativity and unfailing love for family. 

No comments: