Sunday, December 9, 2007

Remembering a happy time of my adolescence

I give you this title because God knows there weren't many.  There's a commercial out there right now where someone quotes a song from the band Air Supply that jogged my memory. Anyone remember that band from the 80s?  It took me back to how I loved them as a young teen.  All those romantic sappy love songs... I can play each hit and remember each guy I dedicated it to back then.  So having a Microsoft Zune pass with unlimited song download, my hubby added them to my Zune.  As I listened to them, another more pleasant memory came to me.  How would a young girl obsessed with Expose and Debbie Gibson even like Air Supply?  (Ok, I have to admit I had a weakness for the Carpenters that goes unchanged.) But I have my aunt and uncle to thank for liking the band.  They would load my cousins and I into their station wagon and pop in the tape.  It was bizarre to me that everyone in the car would sing the songs in unison.  In my family, we had the oldies station on in the car all the time because that was the only music my parents could agree on.  I didn't have an appreciation for that genre until I moved out of the house.  So, I'm in the car with my cousins and everyone is singing...how great!  Being a very dreamy romantically inclined young teenager, I loved their songs.  (It's later, I would become the jaded Alanis loving young adult.) So, soon I was singing along with my family.  One memory from that time was from the song "Two Less Lonely People in the World."  I remember my aunt saying that the song reflects her son who just started dating a girl in high school.  Well, it's 16 years later and they are still together.  Those times singing in the car lifted me up and made me forget my troubles. It made me feel part of a family when my home life wasn't so great. So today I'm listening to the "best of" album in the shower and I remember every word like it was yesterday.  I hadn't heard their songs in over 10 years.  It made me feel thirteen all over again. 

(Thanks Flo!)

No comments: