Sunday, July 6, 2008

Loss of a Kindred Spirit

I received a call Friday that Marian the woman I look after was going to die today.  It was a big shock to me.  I just had a nice visit with her in the hospital two weeks ago.  She was alert and talkative.  She was set to go home in a few days.  What I didn't know was that she lost the will to live.  She was tired of suffering.  Her daughter Margie who is a nurse put her on hospice care and said there was every indication that she would die.

We were all out shopping when I received the call and rushed to her house.  The kids stayed in the living room having fun with her husband Don while I went to her bedside.  Julian had a sense of what was going on but playing his Gameboy with Don was a nice distraction.  Madeleine really didn't ask too many questions and was happy enough playing with their cats to think about anything.  When I approached Marian, I could tell she was conscious.  Her eyes widened when she saw me.  Because of her oxygen mask, she couldn't talk.  I brushed her hair with my hands and told her about Madeleine's ballet recital and things that I knew she would like to hear.  I stayed at her side for awhile but could hear the children getting a little ramy.  I told her I loved her and kissed her forehead.  She closed her eyes at that moment in recognition of it.  I even got a little smile when I said goodbye. 

I am grateful for the little time I had to spend with Marian.  We would sit together and talk on the days I would come over.  She had such a kind gentle way about her.  She had the most beautiful blue sparkly eyes.  She loved children and quickly took to mine.  She would play Barbies with Madeleine without a second thought.  She was quick witted and funny.  She was everything I could ever dream of in a grandmother.  The world doesn't realize what it lost. 

Julio and I held hands tightly on the ride home.  Don is losing the love of his life.  We all have to be kind to one another, but especially to our families.  Cherish and enjoy the time you do have now. 

 

 

No comments: