Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Generations of Creativity

Our Prima BallerinaWhat a weekend I now have behind me!  After months and months of hints about being invited to a local jam session, my time had come.  I hung out in a basement while a few guys worked on perfecting songs that were to be performed the next day.  We had a guy on base, drums, and two on guitars.  I had auditioned with a band about a year ago that was never going to work out.  Still, it got my appetite whet for singing with a band.  The lead guitarist showed me a list of songs and we bounced a couple back and forth.  I sang for him in his computer room while the rest of the band practiced.  When I was done, I heard applause in the other room.  I breathed a sigh of relief, because all of them are so talented.  Everyone insisted that I come sing in the front room.  I sang Carol King's "You've Got a Friend," and Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me."  I felt I secured a spot in their minds as a real singer.  Now the challenge remained:  Could I pull it off in front of a hundred people?

I think I did.  The loud applause still rings in my ears.  I wasn't comfortable enough to let it all hang out, like the band wanted.   I did play it safe in certain spots but felt that was better than hearing my voice unexpectantly crack.  Then I sang back up for "Lay Down Sally."  I loved it.  I felt a part of the band, like I had a special membership that not many could sign up for.  Even days later, my body is still itching to get in front of a mic and sing my heart out.  I don't know when they are practicing again, but I pray it's soon.

The other half of the weekend was spent running my daughter to ballet rehersal and then her recital.  She has been nervous all these months to be on stage.  When we arrived for rehersal, not many dancers were there yet.  Madeleine walked out on the stage, and never looked back.  She was hamming it up for the small crowd that was there, and they loved it.  So, on Sunday she was itching to get on stage and perform. (I guess it's in the genes...)  She brought me to tears seeing her perform in front of hundreds of people and not be nervous.  She is now convinced she wants to try tap lessons and gymnastics.  Let me just pull that pocket change out of my wallet now...

 Tom and I rocking out!

 

No comments: