Wednesday, August 9, 2006

I found a job!

Yes, I was sceptical about my job search.  I had to broaden my expectations in order to find one.  My biggest gripe about my 20s is that I never learned a skill.  I don't have time/money for college and I don't know what I would've taken if I did go.  English literature and Medieval history can only take one so far.  I was waiting for my career to find me.  I just can't believe it did.  Someone was crazy enough to hire and train me as a dental assistant.  Now this will take some time, but it's paid training! And I get a raise once I'm x-ray certified.  What I had to broaden were my time limits.  I'm going from working 12 hours near by to 20 in a town that's 30 minutes away.  I've never been away from my daughter that long.  She will have her grandpa to watch her, but it breaks my heart to see her guarding the door so I won't leave.  Well why not save your pennies and stay home as others have told me.  We tried and it didn't work.  We live modestly already: I clip my coupons, my children wear hand me downs, we live in a townhouse, I don't have a maid (alas!) and we really can't cut it.  So within these circumstances, I am excited about learning something that will make me look desirable to employers.  In my own childish mind, what am I the most excited about all this?  It just so happens that the dentist's daughter-in-law is the assistant to Elmo. Yes, the Elmo on Sesame Street.  She is good friends with the man behind Elmo and he comes to the dental office sometimes to sign autographs.  How cool is that?  Wouldn't you say that's an in to have my children appear on Sesame Street?  OK I'm thinking too far ahead--but you have to have goals, right?

No comments: