Thursday, August 3, 2006

What <em>can't</em> you find off the coast of New Jersey?

We had a nice family outing to Wildwood, NJ yesterday.  The last time I was there I was 16.  At that time in history, I didn't care about water quality, burning hot sand and biting sand flies.  Why?  Because I didn't have little ones whining for 3/4 of a mile that the sand was burning their feet or flies were attacking them.  I wish I could say that was all there was to complain about.  There is a treasure of sorts that you can find along the beach and I wish I could say it was seashells.  One woman was holding up a piece of glass she had found in the water.  I saw (toilet)paper and candy wrappers.  Last year in Ocean City, NJ I found a plastic glove and plastic wrap.  Yum.  In Wildwood, the water seemed very murky which worried me.  The EPA has shut down 20,000 beaches in the U.S. due to contamination since last year.   All in all, the kids had a great time. There was a breeze and the water felt great considering it was almost 100 degrees.  When I'm there I never want to go home.  I wish I could wake up and spend all day there and be a total beach bum if there wasn't something called responsibility that beckons me.  I look forward to a time when mankind can enjoy the beach without having to worry about pollution.  They will all be pristine just as God intentioned.

No comments: