Monday, April 30, 2007

A Word to the Conservative Woman or Those Faint of Heart

I am what you might consider white. Very white.  Well, my husband is hispanic only by skin and by food choice.  Otherwise, he's very white like me.  I am not prejudice in anyway and instead looked forward to learning about my husband's culture from Puerto Rico.  I have learned a lot in the ten years I have been with my husband.  Nothing could have prepared me for a Puerto Rican bridal shower.  It's rare in my experience to see a mother "corrupt" her daughter in order to prepare her for marriage.  Puerto Rican women have a strange sense of humor and I saw every aspect of that last Saturday.  Let's say it doesn't matter what age you are if you're a PR woman, your level of silliness like that of a twelve year old girl never ceases.  Especially when it comes to introducing a young woman to her "duties" of marriage.  I have been informed this is a very old tradition that introduces an ignorant bride to be of any male body parts that might be foreign to her.  A good point was brought out by someone there, that such tradition is archaic at best.  So this blog remains a warning to such a woman that has an ounce of morals inside her to know what you're getting into.  At least, be careful with accepting souvenirs, especially lollipops. 

No comments: