Sunday, February 10, 2008

Here's a question...

that maybe I can get a response to.  Does anybody still listen to tapes anymore?  I have some music that I just can not find on CD so sometimes I still get out the old tape player to hear them.  When I'm in a Renaissance mood, I get out a tape from the band Separate Reality.  I had bought it long ago the day I saw them at Musikfest with Poncho Man (please see August 2006 for reference).  It's an awesome tape from a local band that long ago disbanded.  If there's an inexpensive way to record tapes into MP3 format, I don't know about it. 

The other "sacred" tape to me is my french tape.  This is my most prized possession from my college days.  My french teacher Michel was from France and recorded well known songs for our homework.  We had to write out what we heard on most of the songs.  There was a wide span of music from french traditional renaissance type songs to contemporary.  He included songs from Charles Trenet. My favorite song by him is "Chant d'amour" (Song of love).  Of course, he added some Edith Piaf.  I had never heard of her before this, but fell in love with the famous song "La Vie en Rose" (literally Life in Pink, or A Beautiful Life).  It's because of this tape I ran out and purchased the movie recently made about her.  It's definitely worth seeing.  My favorite song on the tape is by Pauline Ester called "Oui, Je l'adore" (Yes, I love him). I have tried purchasing a CD from her on my Zune pass, but it wasn't available.  There's a great Celine Dion song called "Pour que Tu m'aimes encore" (For that you love me again). It's just a great tape all around that I can't part with.  You can check out any of these artists on YouTube by the way.

And of course when I took voice lessons, my teachers always recorded the sessions on tape so I could practice at home.  I pull them out sometimes and get sentimental about songs I practiced.  Put me in front of a person that sight reads and I'm a happy person.

So those are my special tapes I can not part with and own a tape player especially for.  Now I'm wondering--am I the only one?

No comments: