Friday, February 29, 2008

Our Winter Vacation part 2

The bridge view from our room 

Our view from the condo.


(Click on it to get the full appreciation of the scenery.) 


We all woke up late Saturday, and had breakfast in.  Before heading down to Pep Boys, we stopped at the boardwalk.  You would never know it was the dead of winter.  It was packed.  It wasn't even the slightest bit warm, but there was a boat show that weekend that drew the crowds.  I confess, I let the diet go by the wayside during this time.  C'mon, Thrasher's french fries?  How can I say no?  It had been about three years since I had them, so resistance was futile. (You can tell I've been married to Julio for almost 10 years when I'm using Star Trek references.) 

Sunday was back to the boardwalk for games at Trimper's.  Quite on the pricey side, but the games lastest longer than most.  If you save up the tickets you've won, it actually pays off.  Last year, the daughter of the family we were with, saved enough to qualify for a PS2.  Later in the week on our date night, Mark and Val took the kids back there.  I guess the manager was feeling generous, and gave the kids way beyond what they qualified for.  Julian got a Nascar large scale car,  Madeleine got a webkin, a magic wand, and a "boo-boo bear."  That would be unheard of at Chucky E. Cheese!  So as you will see from our trip, we definitely made out well, because of visiting in the winter. 

Monday was lounge around day, and Tuesday was the pool.  The kids were so excited, especially after being cooped up Monday.  Julian was especially excited to get away from his school work.  I guess I didn't mention the three ton bag of work his teacher gave me for him.  Because of his ADHD he can fall behind very easily, so this way he wouldn't miss much.  It was quiet at the pool when we arrived and had a great time.  We did Denny's for dinner which happened to be kids eat free night. 

As the week progressed, we realized how much we didn't know about eachother.  We've been friends with Mark and Val for six years, but lost contact for the past two.  The biggest suprise what what a talented family they are.  They certainly all gave me a run for my money in Kareoke Revolution.  It's rare for me to share my passion for singing with people, so I was spoiled for that week.  Why?  Because they were hooked on the game, and purchased the latest version when we went out a few days later.  

Thursday we took a trip to Virginia Beach.  We took the Bay Bridge Tunnel, and stopped at the gift shop.  You feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.  We got to see cargo ships, naval ships, and airplanes.  It was very cold so we limited our time on the pier.  Mark wanted to fish, so the kids had fun helping.  We drove around Norfolk and headed for Virginia Beach.  As Julio mentioned in his blog, they had a set restaurant they wanted to take us to.  The town was completely dead, which is expected for February.  It's night and day when you compare it to OC.  The only place that looked open and not weird was Abbey Road.  You have to be a Beatles fan to appreciate it's awesomeness.  If you're not, they have a nice fish tank with most of the types of fish from "Finding Nemo."  The waitress was uber friendly and the food was great.  There was even a guy singing with his guitar.  Strangely enough, he didn't sing any Beatles' songs.  The place is a must see if you're ever down that way. 

Sorry I'm so long between installments, I wish my blog was the only thing I had to worry about every day! 

No comments: