Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Strange Bedfellow

Bravo to the ones of you who have not abandoned my blog, especially after the last post.  As those of you know, I am not all doom and gloom.  There are periods that are worse than others and sometimes there is a need to express myself in my darkest moments.  Thanks for hearing me out and enduring with me.  Now onto bigger and brighter--It's been a full week!  It started out with me tearing my hair out because both of my final projects were do for my two classes.  I got the final grade for my Business Communication...A-.  Not what the A+ perfectionist in me wanted but hey--I'll take it!  The jury still is out for General Ed. 

The next day I was asked to do third shift for the wonderful couple I sometimes take care of.  I had told them I couldn't do third shift in the past  since I could sleep through any cry for help.  Since they were so desperate for someone to fill in, they didn't mind.  Also, a week before Marian was rushed to the hospital with multiple problems.  She was still in the ICU recovering.  So it was Don and I.  He has his mind pretty much in tact.  His wit is sharper than the average person. We watched the Phillies game together and talked.  He told me the story of how his own father was troubleshooting a submarine problem in WWI with Thomas Edison!  He figured it out before Thomas did.  I love storied like that.

Then we "settled" in for the night.  I was told by his daughter I didn't have to wake myself up throughout the night to check on him.  I just had to keep one ear open just in case.  I would sleep in Marian's bed which was the twin across from his.  I would've slept in the reclining chair in the living room, but I was afraid I wouldn't hear him at all then.  It was midnight and we said goodnight.  Then I heard whispers.  He was talking so low I couldn't make anything out.  He finally told me what he was saying and that was that.

Then he started whispering again, but this time in his sleep.  It became full fledged talking at one point like he was on the phone.  Sometimes he would actually answer me back.  I'd say, "Don, are you talking to me?"  He'd say, "No, somebody else."  I couldn't tell if he was trying to be funny, but then he'd just continue on talking.  This went on most of the night.  I would slip in and out of consciousness. I'm not sure how much sleep I really got. 

If there is one thing I've learned about (my) life, it's never say never.  There are things that I've sworn I would never do: waitress while pregnant, live in the town I now live in, and work in any capacity overnight.  I got through it.  For my next post, I know you want to hear all about the fourth grade field trip to our state capital.

No comments: