Sunday, April 27, 2008

The crazy week I can now put behind me

Lately I've been blogging (when I can) more about my life and less on social commentary. This post will have a little bit of both. I know I use the titles stay at home mom and paraprofessional interchangably. Most times it's the former. Once in awhile it's the latter; such is the life of a substitute. I've been thinking what's a position that I could bring my daughter to, since childcare would cost me an arm and a leg (and a kidney). In my current position there are too many ifs. I can work if Julio's daycare at work can take Madeleine. If I haven't scheduled anything important already. So every once in awhile I'll see an ad for assistance for an elderly couple. Help with shopping, cooking, etc. I saw one for part-time and gave it a shot. The woman on the other end said the position was filled but would I consider a substitute position? What the heck? I brought Madeleine with me to the interview and we all hit it off right away. I came in the following week for orientation. I felt overwhelmed with certain required duties but I've reached the end of the rope for part-time easy going employment. The majority of the work would be no sweat. I've worked for a cranky old man before. (cough, cough DENTIST cough, cough) So as long as everyone involved was nice, I'd be okay.
I quickly got a call to substitute a few days after orientation. I had to juggle having Philly this week, the in-laws up, house hunting with my brother-in-law, homework and everything else. I didn't have much time to think how nervous I'd be. I've had some pretty interesting jobs, but giving an old person a shower? While they're...naked? I wasn't freaked out about the idea so much, but more scared of one of them falling and me being alone to deal with the aftermath.
The children had fun with the in-laws while I had my first day of work. It's so strange how you can know someone ten years and still feel uncomfortable around them. Then others you can know for five minutes and feel at home in their company. I got the warm fuzzy feeling from this couple. They are about 80 years old and still have their minds well in tact. Not only that, but they are incredibly funny, entertaining people. Literally. She was a soloist and did children's theatre. He sang in a barbershop quartet for 30 years. My kind of people. He is constantly cracking jokes, and she cracks them back. They spent their Friday night watching Law and Order and looking at old miscellaneous papers. I sat next to her like a granddaughter would her grandmother as she related stories of her past. She showed me her birth certificate (b. 1926) which was not written up till she turned 16. We take having birth certificates for granted nowadays. She had love notes she gave her husband, and an old passport. From there, we got to talk about France. They visited 1975, me, 1995. It was a mutual goal to see Mont St. Michel in Normandy. It's rare for me to meet someone else who has visited there. The wife talked about shopping and dining in Paris. And...I'm getting paid for this? The truth be told, I miss my grandparents dearly. I miss the peace I feel when talking with with them, even though we had little in common. It was emotionally calming to me to be reminded of a time when it was just they and I. I felt I had a little of that back that night. However, I never had to give them a shower.
It has to be hard for a person to have someone else shower you. I take for granted that I can have peace in the shower because there is no one else there. So I wanted to keep their dignity in tact while showering them. I brought the wife in first. I didn't feel weird at all. Again, just concerned she would fall. She sat down and undressed. I could tell how relaxing it was to her to have a shower. It was more like girl time than work. We chatted away like we knew eachother's souls. Like I was looking at my older self in the mirror. She did not fall so my goal was accomplished. Her husband was much more pickier. He is more self sufficient than his wife, but I was unclear on what was what he could do and what he couldn't. Thank goodness he took care of his private needs because I would have been uncomfortable being it's my first night. We all survived.

When I got home I was exhausted and realized I still had homework. Got that done. Woke up today and realized I had homework for the other class which is now considered late. I'm just glad this week is done and pray next week isn't so crazy.

No comments: