Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The New Girl in Class

I did it.  I really did it.  A decision 10 years in the making has been made.  Today is my first day as a college student in exactly 10 years.  Why so long?  I wasn't sure what to major in, needy babies turning into needy children, juggling a job, housework, layoffs and *poof* 10 years fly by.  Financial aid was another deterent...all those forms.  I have to say my cousin babied me 10 years ago.  She was attending West Chester University already and had done everything by herself. I can't say the process would have gone as smooth if not for her.  So, this time around I was assigned an enrollment counselor that helped me through every step.

I will be going to college online through the University of Phoenix.  Not my first choice.  I mean isn't half the fun of college  sitting in class arguing with the professor? (Okay, that happened in just one class.) But if this is the only way I'm able to get back to earning a degree, then so be it.  My credits haven't transferred yet, but I do have enough credits under my belt to shorten the time it will take to earn an associate's degree.  The first two classes are general classes everyone has to take, so I will be upset if they don't accept the general classes I took so long ago.  I don't see it being a problem. I am getting my associate's to be a paraprofessional (teacher's aide).  I technically am one now part-time.  Getting this degree would help me earn more money when I decide to work full time.  It will also be easier down the road to get my bachelor's in education, which is my long term goal.

So far it's been...weird.  I have an assignment that my professor for business communication posted on our class "website" (for lack of a better word).  I have to read an article and give my thoughts on it.  Then to be counted as participating, I have to reply to posts written by fellow classmates.  I haven't wrapped my head around it completely yet.

I have read the bios from my other classmates and some are a lot like me.  Stay-at-home moms going for the same degree.  Others are older, but all women so far.  If I had my choice I would be a college student forever.  I love the learning process.  I could skip those pesky math courses though.  Wikipedia is just not enough to satisfy me. 

No comments: