Friday, August 8, 2008

How 10 years fly by...


Today is my 10 year wedding anniversary. We actually got to go out to a nice Italian restaurant while my sister babysat. Julio made me the equivalent of a mixed tape from those of you old enough to remember those. Now they are called playlists for your iPod. He compiled music we've enjoyed and "us" kind of romantic music we like. We listened to it in the car on the way to and back. It was a nice touch to a great evening.
I thought it was pretty neat to say five years. Now 10 years makes me sound so old. It also is an accomplishment. I can say this after seeing many people I know not make it to five years married together, who got hitched after us. There have been rough patches for us at times, but these were due to external reasons. The core reasons we fell in love have never changed. We still enjoy the same activities together, and laugh at the same type of humor together. We have evolved, and the relationship has to evolve with it. Being parents is the biggest change a relationship can face. This also tends to be, from what I've seen, when people like to call it quits. It is something to ride out. Our children are at an age that they do things together and don't require as much of our attention as they once did. We can start and finish a conversation now when they are awake.
The depression Julio and I have both experienced at different times could have been deal breakers to the average couple. Knowing that this was something to ride out and be patient about has now let us reap the benefits of remaining together. We come out stronger. Don't let me forget to say having God in a relationshp makes it all the better too!
I also think of people that attended our wedding that day. How far away everyone is now, compared to everyone living so close to where it was held in Telford, PA. How lives have changed, and children have grown up and some have been born. Then I thought about all the new wonderful people we have come to know since then that make our life more enjoyable. Oh and if I look serious in this picture, it's because I cried while saying my vows...it was a happy cry.
I want to put out a little video montage of our years together in the next two weeks. Please check back for that. In the meantime, if you want to leave your thoughts here for me, it would mean a lot.
I wouldn't trade the past 10 years for anything. I'm so glad to say I didn't let this one get away. That's why I've been holding him hostage in my basement.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good times... good times... ;-)

Love you baby!

Unknown said...

"Como han pasado los años, que mundo tan diferente! y aqui estamos frente a frente como dos enamorados que se miran sin hablar. Si parece que fue anoche que bailamos abrazados y juramos un "te quiero", que nos dimo por entero y en secreto murmuramos nada nos va a separar....habran pasado los años, pero el tiempo no ha podido hacer que pase lo nuestro!! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

Bill Merlock said...

Karen,

Although I've only met you and Julio in person once, seems to me that if ever two people were made for each other, it was you two. Happy Anniversary!

Bill

Karen said...

Thanks Bill! That is so sweet!

Anonymous said...

Awwwww! So sweet! Jeez, you've changed in 10 years, more than I would expect. But still, you look great.

Oh, BTW, "Legacy of the North" has been abandoned temporarily for a new premise. In the meantime, I have compiled a new idea called "The Opera in Space".

Hope you're well,
JAMES

Karen said...

Thanks James...I think...A woman can change her hair color many times in her life, until she gets tired of the whole annoying process...