Monday, August 18, 2008

My son has grown wings...


As you can tell I've been a little too busy to write lately, but am anxious to share my stories with those kind enough to read them.

I want to share with you how Julian has been doing this summer. We had our theater camp end two weeks ago and it was worth all the exhaustion I felt afterwards. One visiting theater director told us, "If the children see you are energetic and excited, then the kids will be too." This is very true for the other actors but Julian. He fought with me every day to go. That unruly boy I mentioned earlier was just too annoying to deal with. This was entirely true, but does that mean you change your routine for one person? I put my blinders on and trudged through, and made him too. What I've learned about raising Julian is you have to be persistent. He'll give you every excuse in the book why he shouldn't do something. He might even give in to tears. But it is worth the struggle in the end.

On the last day we put on our play for the parents. I couldn't enjoy sitting in the audience because I was the "stage manager." I had seen enough rehearsals though to satisfy me. Melissa, the camp director, gave Julian a major role as ring master. He learned his scenes with ease, putting that enormous memory to good use, besides memorizing NASCAR statistics. By showtime he was one of the stars of the show. Without prompting, he recited his lines with proper emphasis and did his own blocking. He also did an improv skit with another girl his age that was reserved for a select few. Melissa said she was very impressed and said he was a natural. He received a lot of compliments afterwards from other parents. He felt proud and, of course, I was beaming.

Madeleine had her moment to shine earlier this year with her recital, so when she had a hard time memorizing her few lines, it was no big deal. She was the youngest in this class and, therefore, was the only one that couldn't read her script. I would prompt her and practice with her, but the whole thing was a little too advanced for her age.

I have always believed that theater excercises are therapeutic for a child. I know this because I benefited from them when I was a teen. I remember when I had to yell at another classmate in an improv excercise. For a quiet wallflower like myself, it was exhilarating. I know with the social issues Julian has; it was just what he needed.

Another wonderful thing happened this summer that was due to our persistence which really paid off. Julian is now an expert bike rider. He was only ever comfortable with his training wheels and always fought us and cried when prodded to try a little harder. Or, it was how his helmet made him uncomfortable, even though it was the right size. This has gone on for years and I put my foot down this year. The first half of the summer was agonizing, when every session would end in bitter tears. I had the idea to let him try coasting down a slight incline to get a feel for the type of balance he would have to maintain. Later on, when I googled how to ride a bike, that is one of the ideas a website suggested. Now it's a piece of cake for him. Some days I can't get him to come inside. He said he loves feeling the wind in his face. Yet another reason for me to cry happy tears over how he has blossomed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a nice post, Karen! It's great to hear how well Julian's theater experience turned out, and that he's so comfortable riding a bike now! That's one of the greatest summer memories a kid can have. :)

*ceido*