Friday, November 9, 2007

A New Diagnosis

I have been relating to Julian's doctor how school remains such a problem for him since September.  His doctor has commented how the anxiety has really calmed down.  So he gave me two questionaires to rule out ADHD.  One for me and one for his teacher.  This is the third time I have filled out this questionaire.  Filling it out this time, things started to make sense.  Problems had elevated to the level that I didn't mark everything with a 0 or 1.  I presented these back to the doctor.  He calculated the numbers in front of us so we would know how to proceed.  He then sat back perplexed on his next move.  He said ADHD needed to be confirmed by the behavior present in two settings, school and at home.  His teacher was seeing the hyperactivity, and I was seeing the inattentiveness, but neither saw both.  The findings were enough to say he had ADHD though.  Then came the concern of medication.  Technically, he would be approved to receive meds for it.  I can see some of my readers up in arms over this.  Worry not, dear readers.  Both his doctor and I remain very conservative over that issue for a number of reasons.  For his doctor, he is concerned that the drugs are a stimulant, which would increase anxiety.  Also, because my son has tachycardia, the stimulants in those drugs would be detrimental.  I have consulted the wonderful book Perscription for Nutritional Healing by Balch and Balch for information.  A quick thanks to Miss Ceido is in order for giving me the book in the first place.  There lists nutrients to combat the symptoms, which is my next step.  His doctor and I have a conference call with Julian's teacher next week to get a more accurate analysis of the situation.  Anyone with experience with this issue is welcome to share, especially since the majority of my readers prefer to remain so anonymous. :)

No comments: