Saturday, July 8, 2006

At least I tried to do the right thing...

My bi-weekly visit with my mom didn't go as well as I had hoped. There are other ways I would rather spend my time than arguing with her like I was 16 again. This time I didn't scream and slam my door. I did the adult thing and changed the subject.  Remember the last entry about the power of guilt?  Well my in-laws are about to move 2 minutes away from my parents in my old home town. I was there to check out their new place and thought "Gee, I should stop by and visit my mom like a good daughter since I am so close by and she's all depressed about her diagnosis and stuff." That's logical right? Don't ask my husband to respond to that.  She hasn't softened in her approach to communicate with me and still refers to her grandson as "your son." At least I didn't stay long and our conversation did improve. What do you say to someone who negates everything you say? Not much would be the proper response. At least I tried to do the right thing by showing up.

No comments: