Sunday, July 2, 2006

Cancer Sucks

I just thought I'd share a thought millions of people have already come to know. My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 non-hogkins lymphoma 2 years ago. Her one doctor saved her life, the first one almost killed her by giving her more chemo than she needed. So we thought we were over the worst until her PET scan showed there was something that came back. She just received her third dose last week and will need 3 more. Blood work shows it is currently out of her system but it's standard procedure to receive 6 at a time. She has recurrent lymphoma and will continue on chemo until her body no longer responds to it. You might assume since I'm posting about my mom's problems that we are best of friends and the cancer will tear apart the friendship. I wish I could say we are, but family relationships are complicated. There is a lot of trust isssues on both sides. It doesn't help I believe she's severely depressed and unable to bond with other humans in a healthy way. But guilt has a funny way of working itself into establishing a relationship that was not really there to make the most of what time we have left. I have started inviting her out to brunch every 2 weeks and she is enjoying my visits. It hurts me to see her so down now that she realized this isn't going away.  If her parents hadn't messed up her childhood it wouldn't have taken her cancer for us to be close.

No comments: