Thursday, July 27, 2006

No Chemo Today

My mother never learned to drive. She grew up in Philadelphia and took the train or the bus.  My father moves us out in the middle of nowhere, has three more kids and she refuses to learn.  Today she was going to receive her chemo, but her doctor decided it was not a good idea since last week she had shingles (think of it like a bad chicken pox) and the chemo could bring it back.  Well, I offered to take her there, since my dad commutes to Philadelphia for work everyday and has to go out of his way to take her.  After complaining to my sister that I was late, she warmed up to me.  The doctor gave her something instead of the chemo (retussin?) to keep the cancer in remission.  This required me dropping her off and three hours later picking her up.  She was so happy that she will not have to worry about side effects for two weeks.  She actually put her hand to my face and told me I was a good girl.  Yes, I'm almost thirty, but that warmed my heart. I know the past few posts about her have been negative, so I can leave this post with a warm and fuzzy feeling: we're having lunch next week.

No comments: